Monday, November 12, 2007

Thing #16 Wiki Me This

I love the idea of library pathfinders. Perhaps we could put our booklists on one.

A good use for a staff wiki could be "Tips and Tricks" for each job. We are sharing tips & tricks in QL Chat a little. For example, one of the best "tricks" that I have learned is to apply a strip of invisible tape to the edge of the staff schedule before you 3-hole-punch it to put it in the staff schedule binder. In every branch I've worked in, those schedules are always falling out of their binder from overuse. One of my old CLMs told me that one. Almost everyone who works here has picked up little kernels of wisdom. It would be incredibly useful to have them all in one spot.

I love the way that amazon.com has reviews from customers for their books. It would be interesting to do that for our catalog.

And of course, announcing our programs on a wiki would be great.

I must confess that I worry whether a wiki would work with all the potential cussing. It's a lot of work to read all the kids' book reviews in the summer to check for swearing. I'm happy to say that I only found some once or twice.

No comments: